Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cakeballs!

Why do all of my posts titles look the same? It's always the subject and an exclamation mark. I need to try to vary that!

Anyway, today was a very lazy day, but we did undertake a big cooking project - cakeballs! I've made them before, last Christmas I think it was, and thought it would be fun to get the kids involved since it does take a lot of steps.

Ingredients:
1 box of the cake mix of your choice
1 can of cream cheese frosting
melting candy/chocolate of your choice (I used milk chocolate, but you can use white chocolate, dark chocolate, whatever!)

Directions:
1. Make the cake as directed on the box (be careful not to undercook)
2. Let cake cool completely
3. Crumble cake into a large bowl
4. Mix in cream cheese frosting
5. Put mixture in freezer for a while (otherwise the ball-forming is much too gushy and mushy)
6. Use your hands to shape the mixture into smallish balls (mine were about 1" in diameter, Ben's were...of varied shapes and sizes!)
7. Put balls on a cookie sheet and put in freezer for a while
8. Melt chocolate candy/bark/chips slowly (don't overcook)
9. Roll each ball in the melted chocolate with a spoon (I don't know of any easier way...suggestions welcome)
10. Put balls on wax paper to harden
11. Store in the fridge (my favorite) or on the counter in an airtight container

Ben did an awesome job measuring all of the ingredients

Eva did an awesome job trying to sneak chocolate


Ben's first time using the electric mixer

Eva's first time being one inch from chocolate and not putting her finger in it

Of course I let him taste a little cake batter

My princess ballerina had some, too. Can you tell?

What happened to the shirt? Cake batter happened! Bowl licking happened! (I spared you those photos)

Check out those cakeballs!

Very carefully dipping the cakeballs in melted chocolate. We didn't have any wax paper, so I used printer paper. Yeah, I said it.

Ta da! Not pretty, but mmm-mmm-good!

No comments:

Post a Comment